Thursday 8 August 2013

Peace Matunda: school and orphanage

The majority of my stay in Tanzania was spent living within the compound of the school and orphanage called Peace Matunda situated near a village called Kimundo, near a larger village/town called Tengeru which can be found about thirty minutes from the city Arusha. 

I made bonds of a lifetime here: 


The children who attend Peace Matunda school and live in the Amani House orphanage


Two beautiful little ladies sitting in the evening sun: Naomi and Dorah 
Baby Aaron(y) (son of the director) and Itchy the dog in the background!
 I write 'Aaron(y)' as indeed it is spelt as Aaron but when pronounced is an altogether different ball game. Many Tanzanians are named with very traditionally Western names but the resulting sound is often quite unique: a hybrid of cultures I like to think. 


'Trip out' for a soda.
The children would love to go on little trips like this...living in the orphanage can sometimes be quite enclosed for them. Occasions like this allow them to interact with the local people and see their school friends, it's not just about them getting a hit of some sweet glup (yes that's you Coca Cola). Something so simple has huge effects on these young minds: making them feel part of something bigger and involved in their community.

Gladdy and Editha. Cute as pie. 

The people from the surrounding areas of Kimundo: 

Rose and I 

Rose went to the local secondary school but her brother Issac attended the oldest class in Peace Matunda which was STD V when I was there. Rose was a really sweet girl, I visited her home a few times, would always be warmly welcomed by her grandmother who looked after her and her siblings. I think of her often. 
     

The staff at the compound

Afande (guardsman) and I
    During my stay their were two 'afande's' which is swahili for guardsman/police. I got on extremely well with both of them despite the language barrier. The guy in the picture above had the most infectious laugh and smile....the other afande called Motika also really struck a chord with me. He had a passion to learn and also tried to teach me the Maasai language (hopefully more on that in another post). Both of these men came from a Maasai village far away from this community. The two of them did kind of 'terms' where each one would come for a time to work for their communities, some 5+ hour journey away.


These men would spend all hours of the night and day at the metal gate, letting people pass back and forth...they lived at the gate for their 'term'...needless to say I enjoyed to do what I could for them, making coffee, bringing them food, sitting and chatting. 


...and last but not least the other international volunteers who passed through in my time. 

Sorry guys :p prom pic gone bad...
                                  

This is just a picture I love, with 4 out of 5 of the 'older girls' who live in the orphanage.




Margareth, Mery, Me, Doris, Shelagh (Jeska there in spirit).
AKA The Big 5!


Hopefully when these kids are a bit older and start using the internet (which will inevitably happen!) they can see this too. 

I've enjoyed writing this, I hope others can get some kind of enjoyment too...even if not, I'm pleased I'm finally creating some kind of record of this unforgettable time.
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...