Wednesday 4 September 2013

Loved ones...and learning Maa language

Those who are still on my desktop background, still come into my dreams and still cross my my mind every single day. 
One little boy called Lemboris and his family



Lemboris, Bibi, Motika

Lemboris came to stay at the compound where I volunteered as he had been bitten by a snake, he had travelled with his elderly grandmother/bibi/coco pictured above from a far away Maasai village called Galei (excuse spelling) which is about 5+ hour car ride away. He soldiered on (literally didn't even cry despite the obvious pain in his face, his swollen foot and subsequent two week long stay in hospital) despite not being able to walk. He and I formed a bond that was incredible considering he didn't know English but also didn't speak Kiswahili (which I have a basic level of). Our communication consisted of mine, laughter, playing, my twenty word vocabulary of Maasai (which his Uncle taught me: see below)! As he couldn't walk I would carry him around the place, take him to the loo and put him to bed at night. His uncle, was the guardsman, pictured above called Motika who would draw him things. In the picture of them, Lemobris holds a piece of paper drawn to look like a mobile phone, he treasured it and it was adorable. 

Lemboris and his grandmother would sit up at the house with the volunteers and some of the kids who spent the evenings with us, having never seen a TV, Bibi became hysterical. Everytime, same reaction, despite it being the same Christain music video on repeat! I can only draw comparison to when the first motion picture was created, however she must ave felt further curisorty, bemusement and awe as she comes from a place completely void of technology and even electricity. When I said goodbye she gave me her bracelet which I still where today. The Maasai women where metal bands on their wrists and ankles, she unwound hers and rewound it onto me (which proved quite a commotion at the airport!) This touched me immensely.
The papers Motika used to teach me his language 'Maa'
I felt very privileged when he began teaching me his language as its one of the many tribal languages of Africa that has little written accounts and also astonishingly has survived in the face of societal, historical and governmental changes. Both Kenya and Tanzania use Swahili as their official spoken language and for many large communities and tribes people their mother tongue has died out. The Maa language has proved strong and defiant in the face of globalisation! It's also interesting to note that signs are incorporated into the language. Numbers for example have words and corresponding hand signals! 

I'm proud to say I learnt these, still remember them and in doing finally felt that maybe a wasn't such a destined failure with languages! 

The two beautiful dadas who came into my life in the first few months I came to Tanzania and do absolute wonders for the school and orphanage. 

Jackie and Kayleigh 

The people of Lake Natron
Three village girls

I spent many days playing with these beauiful girls, they treated me like one of their best friends, they took me around their village, took me to their homes, we would swim in the river, they made lots of special jewellery for me. The girl on the left was particular awesome, she was such a boysterous character and so loving and loved the camera! She gave me her necklace the last time I saw her which I still where to this day.

The special family
I have endless memories and photos of this family, I spent a lot of time with them and a special bond was created with all of us. The Mama or Yeeyo (in the Maasai language) has seven children and looks after them all on her own, her husband passed away and Maasai women are not allowed to re marry.  

One way or another things didn't turn out the way I expected them to. Yet I hope when one day I can I return to Tanzania I will get to see them again. 

Sere na xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...