Friday 4 October 2013

My language challenge: Español


Still from All About my Mother, Almodovar


New month, new job, new country, new start. NEW LANGUAGE.

So, as you may know I'm living in Spain, one my main goals I wish to achieve whilst being here is to master the Spanish language.

I never studied Spanish at school, I momentarily learnt French and German but with little success and always thought that languages "weren't my forte" despite desiring this skill. This view of mine changed last year when I spent 8/9 months in Tanzania and learnt to communicate in Kiswahili and a little bit of Maasai. I came to the conclusion that the best way to learn a language is immersion, if you are faced with daily situations that require you to communicate with people in order to get by, there's a much greater push to learn the language.  The inquisition of knowledge and vocabulary evolves from a hobby, an activity, a subject at school, to something that is essentially a basic need.




Before I came:

I started to learn Spanish earlier this year using a Collin's CD course with Paul Noble. The course was good and offers a unique teaching methodology which teaches basic grammar without you really realising. It is brilliant in this aspect and has definitely given me a basis to my previously ignorant (to Spanish) mind. However it did teach me some vocabulary such as "Quisiera..." = "I would like..." but when I used word, got a mixture of baffled expressions and comments regarding it's extreme politeness. The Spanish language is far more direct than English and one can simply say: "Quiero..." = "I want...", a please = por favor wouldn't go amiss but you get the picture. 

I also began with a Lonely Planet phrasebook which helps when you need a quick utterance.

Now I'm here:

I've been in Spain for almost a month now and I have to say that I have not been the most attentive with my studies up until this past week. These first few weeks have been some what daunting and often lonely. Imagine constantly finding yourself in a situation, surrounded by people having multiple conversations, not understanding anything and having the distinct feeling/knowing that your the topic of convo! At this point I start to doubt my immersion philosophy....No! I still stand by it but I know that it will also require a lot of hard work. I cannot simply listen and expect to know what the words mean!

This week I had my first Spanish as a foreign language class, which was surprisingly hard to organise,  the means to do so were not within my availability but I have now finally found a teacher willing to give me one on one lessons. I am only going to have these once a week, supplemented with 'language exchange' sessions with people, intensive solitary study, reading children's books, listening to the radio, trying to converse as much as possible - well at least those who are willing to be patient!

I got a boost of confidence with my mission when I stumbled across this chap, the Irish Polygot:




He has provided me with many language learning hacks/tips to aid my progression, pushed me to the challenge to be 'fluent in three months' and is simply a true inspiration.

I intend to use film as a study resource, I am already a fan of Spanish cinema and it had already occurred to me to use this medium but it wasn't until I came across this book that I really started to see the potential. I already have some Pedro Almodovar film's with me so I think tonight I will begin with Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios/ Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Which yes, may be a little ambitious but I don't have a copy of Finding Nemo as we speak and Almodovar's films are very beautifully composed.

Please share your experiences and tips! I hope to do the same over these coming months.

¡Adios amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...