Friday 4 October 2013

Salou, Spain : Misfortunate adventure number one

There's a fine line between spontaneous and rash decision making...

At the beginning of this week I started to dream of the Spanish coast. It was a combination of things: hearing my new colleagues mention their homes on the coast and the  beginning of autumn subconsciously making the looming winter seem ever more present.

The place that kept being mentioned was Tarragona. The smaller historical city close to Barcelona and surrounded by coastal towns. Being a history lover, both Barcelona and Tarragona appealed. I mistakenly assumed that the surrounding towns would offer some of this rich Spanish culture too and opted for one of these as my main request was relaxation on the beach. So late on Thursday evening I decided to go to the closest coast on Friday after work. BIG MISTAKE! I thought it'd be best to visit both cities another time as one doesn't visit for the weather but for the history and culture. Well now I hadn't been so typically British and wanted to sun!

What is it about 2013?



For retrospect is fine thing and this weekend luck, God, karma was not on my side. 

The weather was like this:
The forecast was for storms, so yes still hot but the sticky humid kind of hot that maybe if your hotel you were staying in, half as much lived up to the description wouldn't have been so bad! Luckily the storm never arrived: just wind and cloud.

The hotel:
It sounded great: "free wifi, satellite TV, hairdressers, pool, on the beach".
In reality: wifi doesn't work in room unless its midnight, TV has no remote so can't switch on, pool is basically a paddling pool for a hotel which could host the entire town's population (which is Salou by the way).

Oh but the worst thing: my room 6th floor and a 10 min walk from reception involving 2 separate lift rides in one journey. Correct , there if no way to reach the 6th floor from the ground floor in one go!

The holiday makers:
Not an ounce of Spanish soul remained in this town, well at least in this area. Imagine the TV programme Benidorm (+ German, Polish and Russian people), x 10 = Salou. 


The Beach: well just a poor effort, having been to the beautiful beaches in Zanzibar  and being from Cornwall, UK, I probably have higher standards than most in this area but still, overcrowded and small doesn't suffice.


Surf pretty good but no apparent industry, nowhere to higher equipment. 



Overcrowded: even though it should be 'low season' and this is the supposed 'quieter counterpart' to the main beach of Salou.



La Pineda de Salou beach was nicer, quieter, very windy.

Not all bad

Well they did have a hairdressers and I had a reasonable haircut at a very reasonable price! Despite the language barrier, my "two fingers" mine seemed to do the trick! 

The hotel I stayed in was advertised as being on Salou which i discovered once arriving was a typical Brit resort. In actual fact it was positioned in Cap Salou: a strip of giant hotels, positioned just so that one need not need their hotel... So on Friday night when I arrived I thought: Ok, the hotel's not great but I can find a nice local bar have a glass of wine and tapas. I walked for an hour and did not come across one single establishment!

The next day, I hired a bike and rode around which was quite nice and settled on the slightly more tasteful beach of La Pineda de Salou, a quieter town which still has - minor remnants of a former community.

The sunset was also quite spectacular, (albeit not a feature geographically restricting) once I found a spot on the cliffs away from the hoards of obtrusive, overweight and objectionable holiday makers. 



The Final Verdict

So, if your after "best British grub, gettin' wasted and losing a few brain cells , visit Salou. If not, steer well clear of this resort. At least I know now, one of life's many lessons and perhaps I better give a little more planning and research time on my next destination. 

I intend to discover the real Spain, watch this space. 

Do you have any similarly horrendous travels tales? Did you like Salou? Think me crazy for not knowing of it's reputation before?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...